It's that time of year, winter bleeding into spring, when we celebrate Black History, Women's History, and the Oscars. So here's a little quiz to get you in the mood.
1...Who is Loveleen Tandan?
2. Recent reviews of work Tandan co-created appeared in the New York Times, Chicago Tribune, Chicago Sun-Times, the New Yorker, and Time-Out Chicago. Plus or minus two, how many times was Tandan's name mentioned in total in all these reviews?
3. Age Cannot Wither Her
a. What was the age difference between Dustin Hoffman and Anne Bancroft in The Graduate?
b. What is the age difference between Hoffman and Emma Thompson in Last Chance Harvey?
c. How old was Julia Roberts when the studios decided she was too old for the dramatic love interest and was now the quirky aging feminist, Katherine Watson, in Mona Lisa Smile?
Note: This just in--Roberts may be brought out of mothballs by an industry desperate for a big female box-office draw
4. Match the person to the organization/movement they founded or led
i. Ella Baker 11 James Bevel iii. John Lewis iv. Doris Nash v. Fannie Lou Hamer vi. Dorothy Height
vii. Martin Luther King, Jr.
a. SNCC (Student Non-Violent Co-ordinating Committee
b. Mississippi Freedom Party
c. National Council of Negro Women
d. Nashville-Jackson Freedom Ride (kick-off for the Freedom Rider & voter registration SNCC projects)
5. Which of the women leaders listed (or others not listed here) were invited to speak and appear with Dr. King in front of the Lincoln Memorial when he made his famous "I have a dream" speech in 1963?
6. Sticks and Stones
"Hottie," "chick," and "babe" are often used as synonyms for the noun "woman."
List three synonyms for "man" that are in common parlance and convey, to you, a similar meaning
7. Three years after graduating from university, women's salaries are what percentage of men in the same jobs, both working full time?
a. 100 (equal)
8. Thirty years after graduating from university, women's salaries are what percentage of men in the same jobs, both working full time?
9. Before becoming White House social secretary, Desiree Rogers headed:
a. The Social REgister
b. North Shore Gas
c. The Illinois State Lottery
d. The North Shore Gourmet Club
e. People's GAs
10. Support for contraception for low-income women was removed from the economic stimulus bill because:
a. Women need to have more babies to pay for the stimulus package down the road.
b. Babies require women to spend money on health care and diapers which will provide important economic stimulus
c. Women who decide when and whether to get pregnant are "playing God" with t heir bodies and need men in religion and/or government to tell them "how to live their lives right."
11. What percentage of movies released between 2004 and 2008 depict the female lead as a stripper, a hooker, or both?
The person with the fewest correct answers gets a free copy of Freedom's Daughters. The person with the most gets a copy of Tales of Graceful Aging from the Planet Denial. Answers will be posted at a later time.